4.26.2007

Wow, I Do Have a Life!

Well I must, because it's been like three weeks since I've updated this thing. And in those three weeks, a lot has happened. And I won't even bother talking about school, just know that I'm finally done with classes and I've got 5 tests next week.

Last week was Habitat for Humanity's Act!Speak!Build! Week, a program geared towards campus chapters and other youth groups with the intent of advocating change and raising awareness about poverty in America. Honestly, I was a little disappointed with how things went, purely from an attendance standpoint. Granted, we didn't do the greatest job of spreading the word, but it's tough when your entire e-board isn't willing/available to help. Hopefully next year will be better, and we can build on the events we did this year, like the BD's fundraiser, letter writing campaign, and guest speaker/movie night/sleep out at the Rock.

And last night, I went to the Habitat for Humanity of Michigan Awards Ceremony at the Kellogg Center. The evening was great, but the best part was the keynote speaker: Ernie Harwell. If you're a Tigers fan, then you definitely know the name. The man was the voice of the Tigers for 42 years, and I got to meet him. He was approaching the room where other Habitat members were waiting, and I was waiting outside the room for the other Habitat Lansing folks. He made direct eye contact with me, came right up, and extended his hand, saying "Good evening young man, good to see you." All I could do was shake his hand and say "Great to meet you Mr. Harwell."

Seriously, Ernie Harwell made last night, and hell, this entire school year, worth it. When you meet someone of that magnitude, it's something you don't ever forget. The life he's lived and the stories we heard last night are something a very rare few have ever experienced, and I'm glad he shared them.

No comments: